Monday, February 25, 2013

Sweet and Sour Pork


One of my  childhood favorite dishes is sweet and sour pork. When I was a child I liked this dish so much, so each time I went to Chinese restaurant I would order it even tho my father thought it was a joke to order such sweet dish. And now I am grew up and I still like it every now and then. This dish is originally from Canton, China, a crispy pork nuggets coated with sweet and sour red sauce and my recipe is using the combination of white vinegar and ketchup mixed with plum sauce, it will give the sauce a more complex taste.
This is a easy to make recipe and all you do is to give it a first try and then the second time you will do it better because you know what it looks like and you can adjust the taste the way you like it. I always tell people that cooking recipe is just a guide, my taste might be very different than yours. So just cook the food following your taste, I myself like a little sweeter so I put more sugar, you can skip the plum sauce if you don't have any.

Last week, I cooked this dish for my house guest and their kids and they liked it, this sweet and sour pork is a international dish which everyone loves.


Ingredients:
1 kg of pork scotch fillet  (semi-lean), cut into 4cm cubes
Oil for deep-frying
One can of pineapple

Sauce:
5 tsp ketchup
1 tsp tabasco
3 tsp plum sauce

3 tsp pineapple juice from the can
3 tsp sugar - to taste
2 tsp white vinegar - to taste

Marinade for pork:
4 tsp corn flour
1 egg
1/2 white pepper
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp pineapple juice 

Vegetables:
1  onion
3 pieces of ginger
1 small green capsicum
1/2 can of pineapple cube

Method:

1.  Marinade the pork with the  ingredients for about 10 minutes. Set aside.
2.  Cut the vegetables into big cubes.
3.  Heat up enough oil for deep-frying. Turn heat to medium.  Fry the pork cubes piece by piece.  Fry until 90% cooked and crispy, remove from oil and drain on paper towel. Allow to cool.
4.  Heat your wok or pan and put about 2 tsp of oil in the wok. Saute the ginger, onion and green capsicum until fragrant then put in the cubed pineapple.
5.  Put in pineapple juice, white vinegar, sugar, salt, ketchup and plum sauce, a few drops of tabasco sauce, bring it to boil.
6. Pour in the fried pork nuggets,  mix well to coat the pork with sauce.



No comments:

Post a Comment